Return to forums
Register new account
Login:

Mclaren Power Forums: What to expect in 2019Nelson has one job and he does - Mclaren Power Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What to expect in 2019Nelson has one job and he does

User is offline   linchao 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
Breaking down the 90 players on the 49ers offseason roster in 90 posts (over 90 or so days). Today is long snapper Kyle Nelson"WhiteFanposts Fanshots Sections 49ers Salary CapLevi’s Stadium Events49ers Transactions49ers Injury News49ers Press Conferences & Conference CallsRoster Projections49ers Roster49ers 90-in-90 roster breakdown49ers 90-in-90: Long snapper Kyle NelsonNew http://www.49erslock...glinchey-jersey ,18commentsBreaking down the 90 players on the 49ers offseason roster in 90 posts (over 90 or so days). Today is long snapper Kyle NelsonPDTShareTweetShareShare49ers 90-in-90: Long snapper Kyle Nelson19 years and the 49ers have had just three (3) long snappers. There was Brian Jennings who played Old Faithful from 2000-2012, and then Kevin McDermott who took the duty in 2013. Kyle Nelson showed up in 2014 and has had the job since. Nelson bounced around the league, including stops with the 49ers before getting snapped up for long snapping duties. His main position is tight end, and at this point, if you see him lining up there, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong. While Nelson hasn’t gotten into the Pro Bowl as a long snapper, he’s been a solid choice. But 2019 comes with one minor wrinkle: Nelson will be unavailable to start the season due to a 10-game suspension thrown down last year. Details have something to do with a PED violation and Nelson not having much knowledge of what he took at the time, but the NFL is having none of that. He began his term in 2018 and has six-games left to finish in 2019 before he’s available for duty. It’s disappointing, but not disappointing enough that the 49ers felt a need to move on, as they extended him to 2022 in a decent deal. Sure, there’s a suspension, but beyond that, if it aint broke, don’t fix it. As long as Nelson doesn’t find himself in trouble again, the 49ers have no need to look for a new long snapper. Basic infoAge:32Experience: 8th seasonHeight: 6’2 Weight: 240Cap StatusHe has signed a four year extension through 2022. His 2019 salary becomes fully guaranteed on the third day after reinstatement for a cap number of $1.38 million. What to expect in 2019Nelson has one job and he does it well: snap the ball on field goals and punts. His stat totals beyond that are miniscule. The last notch on Pro Football Reference was a fumble recovery and that was in 2017. As we said, don’t expect to see Nelson lining up at tight end unless a train wreck were to occur on gameday. . Nelson will be snapping the ball to punters and kickers alike and that won’t be changing anytime soon. Not much changes with age in relation to the position as well, so the odds of a huge regression are unlikely. Nelson is what he is: a solid long-snapper. Odds of making the rosterIf you think they should bump Nelson for someone else. Watch this. That game linked was an old Monday Night Football game where the Oakland Raiders couldn’t snap a punt to save their lives. Nelson already has signed a four-year extension which means the 49ers intend on keeping him around. If a rookie comes in on a UDFA contract and can snap it better than him Tevin Coleman Jersey , and the 49ers find it necessary to save $800k or so in cap space, then by all means, but Nelson will be on the roster. The said “rookie” would have an extensive window to push Nelson out of a job given his suspension, but don’t count on it. The 49ers extended Nelson long after knowing the league was going to nail him with this, they have no intention on moving on. MINNEAPOLIS — When Kyle Shanahan took over as head coach of the San Francisco 49ers last year, his top priority was acquiring the type of quarterback he could try to help mold into the star this franchise of Joe Montana and Steve Young has lacked for so long.Before the 49ers got Jimmy Garoppolo, Shanahan and general manager John Lynch had their eyes on Kirk Cousins.More Vikings coverageLate interception proves costly in Vikings’ 21-16 loss to PackersPHOTOS: Vikings at PackersPhotos of the Week: 9/8/19 – 9/14/19Preview: Cook, Vikings look to keep rolling vs. PackersTop Tweets: Vikings prepare for Packers with TMNT hype videoShanahan was the offensive coordinator for Cousins in the fourth-round draft pick’s first two years in the NFL with Washington, which used the franchise tag in consecutive offseasons to delay free agency when the two sides failed to reach a long-term contract agreement. Eventually, Cousins was going to be available.“I thought we’d have a very good chance,” Shanahan said, adding: “I think we fell into another alternative option that was pretty darn good.”Last year, the 49ers swung a trade at the deadline with New England for Garoppolo. They won the last five games, all after Garoppolo took over as the starter, to create a groundswell of confidence they’re back on track as a contender .Cousins took an $84 million fully guaranteed contract from Minnesota , where the 49ers will open the season on Sunday and Shanahan will surely share a warm pregame greeting with his former pupil.“Much of the way that I play the position to this day is a result of the way that he taught me as a young player,” Cousins said.Stuck behind Robert Griffin III his first two years, Cousins developed so well with Washington that he ultimately moved ahead of the second overall pick in the 2012 draft.Mike Shanahan Arik Armstead Jersey , Kyle’s father, was the head coach until his firing after the 2013 season. His successor Jay Gruden had no choice but to stick with Cousins.“He’s the guy who gave them a chance to win for about four years,” Shanahan said. “So I was really happy for him doing that, and I’m even more happy that he’s out of there doing it for someone else. I just hope it’s not on Sunday.”Here are some other angles to follow for the game:REPLACEMENT RUNNERS: The 49ers made former Vikings running back Jerick McKinnon their top target in free agency, giving a $30 million contract to be the featured ball carrier.Shanahan was excited about McKinnon’s versatility, counting on significant contributions from the fifth-year player in the passing game as well as on the ground, but McKinnon tore the ACL in his right knee in practice last week and will sit out his first season with San Francisco.“Since the day we signed him we’ve been game-planning for Minnesota,” Shanahan said. “So I’m not going to lie: It changes things pretty drastically.”The roles of Alfred Morris and Matt Breida will be elevated in McKinnon’s absence. The fact that the opener is against his old team made the injury even worse.“I was more devastated when it happened, just the feeling knowing that it wouldn’t be all right for Week 1,” McKinnon said.6<button class="view-gallery">View Gallery</button> Gallery:5 dark horse impact players for the 2018 VikingsCOOKED TO ORDER: McKinnon’s role with the Vikings last year was elevated after Dalvin Cook tore his left ACL in the fourth game. Latavius Murray was especially productive over the second half of the schedule, too, but Cook has worked his way back to where he left off in that abbreviated rookie season.“My knee is fine. It’s ready to go. I’m ready to play. Those carries were a plus. But I’ve been practicing the whole time, getting reps and going full speed,” he said.GOODWIN’S GROWTH: Marquise Goodwin had 613 receiving yards over the last eight games of 2017, a breakout performance in his fifth year. Drafted in the third round by Buffalo, Goodwin never clicked there but now gives Garoppolo a potent downfield target.Vikings coach Mike Zimmer recalled being wowed by the speed of Goodwin, who made the 2012 U.S. Olympic team as a long jumper, when he was at Texas to watch another prospect’s pre-draft workout.“He’s got such great speed Womens Jerick McKinnon Jersey , and that’s always been there, but now he’s become an all-purpose receiver,” Zimmer said. “He goes over the middle. He catches underneath balls. He’s improved a lot.”UNCLE SHERM: Cornerback Richard Sherman will make his debut for the 49ers, the team he tormented so often with Seattle’s “Legion of Boom” defense. Sherman was released following a left Achilles tendon rupture that limited him to nine games last year.After dealing with some minor injuries in training camp, the four-time Pro Bowl pick is eager to play his first game that counts in 10 months. He’ll have an immediate challenge opposite Minnesota’s wide receiver duo of Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs, who have not only been adjusting to Cousins but to new offensive coordinator John DeFilippo.“We’re excited to see how he’s going to call a game,” Thielen said. “We got a glimpse of it in preseason, but it’ll be fun to see what he does for a full 60 minutes.”ROOKIE ROLES: The 49ers will lean heavily on two rookies: Fred Warner and Mike McGlinchey. Warner, a third-round draft pick from BYU, will play middle linebacker for Reuben Foster, who must serve a two-game suspension for violating the NFL’s conduct and substances of abuse policies. McGlinchey, the first-round draft pick out of Notre Dame, will start at right tackle opposite Danielle Hunter, the rising star at defensive end for the Vikings.“I’m just going to do my job,” McGlinchey said. “That’s what I came here to do. There’s no pressure because that’s what I expect from myself.”—VIKINGS-49ERS CAPSULESunday, 1 p.m. EDT, FoxOPENING LINE – Vikings by 5RECORD VS. SPREAD – San Francisco 9-7, Minnesota 12-4SERIES RECORD – 49ers lead 23-22-1LAST MEETING – 49ers beat Vikings 20-3 Frank Gore Jersey White , Sept. 14, 2015AP PRO32 RANKING – 49ers No. 15, Vikings No. 349ERS OFFENSE – OVERALL (12), RUSH (21), PASS (9)49ERS DEFENSE – OVERALL (24), RUSH (22), PASS (22)VIKINGS OFFENSE – OVERALL (11), RUSH (7), PASS (11)VIKINGS DEFENSE – OVERALL (1), RUSH (2), PASS (2)STREAKS, STATS AND NOTES – Vikings have won five straight games at home vs. 49ers since losing 20-17 on Dec. 13, 1992. … Kyle Shanahan, starting second season as 49ers head coach, was offensive coordinator for current Vikings QB Kirk Cousins’ first two years in NFL with Washington. … 49ers closed 2017 with five straight wins, coinciding with QB Jimmy Garoppolo’s takeover as starter. … Garoppolo, including two victories for New England, has won all seven career NFL starts. He’s one of five QBs since 1970 AFL-NFL merger with streak that long. … 49ers WR Marquise Goodwin finished third in league last season with average of 17.2 yards per catch. … RB Jerick McKinnon Womens Deion Sanders Jersey , who played first four years with Vikings, tore ACL in right knee in practice last week and will miss entire season. Matt Breida, with Alfred Morris backing up, takes over as primary RB. … CB Richard Sherman makes debut with 49ers, after seven years with Seattle. … Cousins makes debut with Vikings, sixth QB in six seasons to start opener following Sam Bradford, Shaun Hill, Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder. … Cousins went 25 for 37 for 330 yards and two TDs plus rushing TD to lead Washington to 26-24 win vs. 49ers last year. … Vikings replacing primary starters at LG and RG from last year, with neck injury for Nick Easton and retirement of Joe Berger. Tom Compton and Mike Remmers are in place, with Rashod Hill taking over at RT for Remmers. … DT Sheldon Richardson, who played for Seattle last year and signed as free agent, is lone new starter on defense that led league in 2017. … Fantasy Tip: Vikings RB Dalvin Cook returns from season-ending ACL injury to left knee suffered in Week 4 of rookie year. He had 22 carries for 127 yards in season opener in 2017.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users